Wednesday 9 December 2015

Stand-alones vs Series. Are series a bad thing?

I got to admit that there are more series than stand-alone novels, I am coming across on amazon these days. I happened to read a few comments and saw that some people were cursing that those books were part of a series.
Some said- I wouldn't have ever read this if I knew that this was a series. And some meant to say- authors love making money by making series. And some even meant- authors are cheap and pull off the series stunt to trick people to buy the next.
First of all that was hurting. Of course, people have their priorities- and if a series doesn't interest them they can let it be. No author is forcing them to buy the next- and there is no trick. Everyone has their right to express, but it is not right to abuse authors who are working for their potential readers.
If only readers understand what writers go through in constructing the plot. Especially when they have to build a fantasy world, or characters and events that are not really there. And once it is all made, after long days and nights of thinking- there are just many more things that can't fit into one book. And if all the mysteries and concepts that couldn't fit are just let go, that won't be fair, after all the hard work.
I thought my book would be standalone at first, but when I started developing the Grasp, I knew I couldn't end it. I couldn't show more about the Grasp in 'The Grasp of Nighttide'. I couldn't destroy the queen. Stories work like real life- there is a time for things to happen. And I am not at all ashamed that my book leads to a series(even beyond the second book), and I don't think any author should feel so too.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment